Beside pain in the knee, it is more likely that you will experience redness,numbness in the affected leg, noticeable swelling, difficulty walking or standing and stiffness in the knee.
In this article we are going to present you some of the most effective home remedies in reducing and sometimes completely removing the pain.
It doesn’t matter if the knee pain is due to muscle strain or injury, arthritis, ginger is the most effective remedy to alleviate the pain. It is effective because of the presence of the anti-inflammatory compounds in it. Ginger successfully reducesthe pain as well as the swelling on the knee.
- In a cup of water add a small piece of ginger root and boil it for 10 minutes. After that strain it and add lemon juice and a little honey. Consume2-3 cups of the ginger tea every day until the pain is gone.
- Another helpful solution is to massage the affected knee with ginger oil 2 or 3 times a day until your knee is healed.
Lemon is also very beneficial as a home remedy for pain in the knee caused by arthritis. The main cause of some types of arthritis is the uric acid crystals and the citric acid found in lemon works as a solvent for the uric acid crystals.
- Chopa lemon into tiny pieces.
- Putthe pieces on a cotton cloth and dip it in warm sesame oil.
- Wrap the cloth around the affected knee and leave it for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure twice a day until the pain vanishes completely.
It is also beneficial to drink the juice of one squeezed lemon diluted in a glass of lukewarm water every morning on an empty stomach.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Due to its alkalizing effect apple cider vinegar is very helpful in reducing the pain in the knee. Apple cider vinegar helps dissolve the harmful toxins and mineral build-ups within the knee joint. It is also very helpful in restoring the joint lubricants thus helpingpromote mobility and reduce the pain.
- In 2 cups of filtered water mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Sip this mixture throughout the day. Drink this mixtureevery day until you recover completely.
- You can also add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar in a bath tub of hot water. Keep the affected knee soaked in the water for 30 minutes. Do this once a daycontinuously for a few days.
- Also, you can mix together 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Use the mixture to massage the affected knee once or twice a day until the pain is gone.
Turmeric is a natural e and ffective way to relieve knee pain. The chemical contained in turmeric called curcumin has antioxidant as well as anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the pain.
The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) confirmed that turmeric can slow down the progression of rheumatoid arthritis, one of the main causes of knee pain.
- Add half a teaspoon of turmeric and ground ginger in a cup of water and boil it for 10 minutes. Than strain it and add honey fora better taste. Consume the mixture twice a day.
- Put 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk and boil it. Sweeten it with honey and drink it once a day.
- Another option is to consume 250 to 500 mg turmeric capsules three times a day.
Consume these remedies daily until the pain is gone completely.
Cayenne pepper has an ingredient called capsaicin that works like a pain reliever. Capsaicin’s pain-relieving or natural analgesic properties reduce pain in the affected knee and produce a warm sensation.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder with half a cup of warm olive oil and mix until you get a paste – like mass. Apply the paste on the affected knee twice a day for at least 7 days.
- You can also mix one cup of apple cider vinegar with a quarter or ahalfteaspoon of cayenne pepper powder. Soak the affected knee in this solution and keep it soaked for 20 minutes once or twice a day until the inflammation and the pain is reduced.
- You can even apply a gel containing 0.0125 percent of capsaicin topically to reduce knee pain.
Note: Do not take the turmeric remedy if are taking blood – thinning medicine, because turmeric can make the blood thinner.
Eucalyptus oil has pain-relieving or analgesic properties that help reduce the knee pain. The cooling sensation of this oil is very helpful in easeing knee pain from arthritis.
- Blend together 5-7 drops each of peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil. Then, mix in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Keep the mixture stored in a dark glass bottle, away from direct sunlight.
- Whenever you feel pain in your knees apply this mixture on.
- You need to massage gently to make sure that the oil penetrates deep into the skin.
Epsom salt contains a very important ingredient that has been shown to provide relief from knee pain and that is magnesium sulfate. Magnesium works as a natural muscle relaxant that helps remove the excess fluid from the tissues, in turn reducing pain, swelling and inflammation.
- Add half a cup of epsom salt in a hot bath and and stir it well.
- Put the affected knee in this warm solution, and keep it soaked for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure few times a week until the knee pain stops completely.
Note: Those suffering from heart problems, high blood pressure or diabetes should not take this remedy.
If after one or two weeks of treatment with these remedies you still have the knee pain, consult your doctor and find out the exact cause of the knee pain and the treatment options.